Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Great Gatsby reenactment: Gatsby's first reencounter with Daisy

From the perspective of Jay Gatsby:

"I certainly am awfully glad to see you again," said Daisy. I was surprised by my reaction to this, which was not one of joy because she express to me how she missed me, but rather one of distress i her initiation of a conversation. A silenced endured as I leaned against a mantel piece which bore a clock. I feigned ease as I did so, my head touched the clock that lay upon the mantel piece. 
"We've met before," I muttered. I looked at Nick, and I was tempted to laugh a gilded laugh and feign humor, but I could not. I realized the situation I was in, talking to the girl I loved, and I forgot Nick was there. I caught the horrid clock as it almost fell to the ground, and I rested it back its place. I heard, but ignored, Nick's statement that it was an old clock; time still progress regardless of the age of it's instruments. "We haven't met in years," said Daisy. I responded almost automatically, saying "five years next November, and realizing the awkwardness of such an automatic response I quieted myself. I paid no regard to the cupcakes and tea brought into the room, and walked into a shadow as Nick and Daisy spoke. We looked about wearily, and soon Nick left the room. I was alarmed, and I followed him out of the room. I explained to him the disaster that this meeting had turned into, but he only said that it was because I was embarrassed, as was Daisy. I urged him to quiet down, but he told me that I was acting as though I were a little boy, and very rude, for leaving my guest in the room by herself. I did not even want to hear what he had to say, and I left the kitchen to go back to the room, where Daisy sat on the couch. I looked at Daisy. She was beautiful, and she reminded me of the extravagant man I was. I would not her go simply due to the awkwardness of the moment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment